https://rbge-publications.myshopify.com (“our site”) is operated by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE).
By visiting our site you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
Types of data we collect about you:
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal data when you use our site:
Data you give us. You may give us data about you including your:
• postal address;
• email address;
• telephone number;
• credit card or payment information;
Data we collect about you.
• If you visit our site, we will automatically collect certain technical information, for example, the type of device (and its unique device identifier) you use to access our site, the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, mobile network information and platform.
• We will automatically collect information about your visit to our site including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time), pages you viewed, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
When we collect your data
We will collect the vast majority of personal data about you when you correspond with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise, search for a product or place an order on our site.
When you visit our site we may also automatically collect technical information about your visit from your computer.
How we use your data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
• Where we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you, such as to supply the products you have purchased from us. Information processed for this purpose includes, but is not limited to your name, address and payment information.
• Where we have a legitimate interest to do so, for example to ensure that we understand who uses our site and how our site is used and to improve our site and ensure it is secure. Information processed for this purpose includes, but is not limited to technical information we collect about your visit form your computer.
• With your consent, such as to provide marketing communications. Where consent is required for our use of your personal data, by ticking the appropriate consent box or otherwise communicating your consent (for example, by email or by providing us with non-mandatory information), you consent to our use of that personal data as set out in this policy. You can always withdraw your consent and we will stop any processing of your personal data we are doing with your consent. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before your withdrawal of consent and you may no longer be able to use the site in the same way you did before.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Sharing your data
We may share your personal data with third parties who provide services on our behalf, such as for administrative purposes. Where information is shared with third parties, we will seek to share the minimum amount of information necessary to fulfil the purpose.
Where we store your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website and any transmission is at your own risk.
Third party websites
Our site contains links to and from various third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Retaining your personal data.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using cookies which are stored on the hard drive of your computer. We set the following cookies:
By using our website, you (the visitor) agree to allow third parties to process your IP address, in order to determine your location for the purpose of currency conversion. You also agree to have that currency stored in a session cookie in your browser (a temporary cookie which gets automatically removed when you close your browser). We do this in order for the selected currency to remain selected and consistent when browsing our website so that the prices can convert to your (the visitor) local currency.
• NET_SessionId is a default cookie which allows the website to remember logged in users or members. This expires when the browser session ends.
• rbgeCookieNotice is used to remember we have shown the cookie notice so that we don't display it on every page. This expires 90 days after it is created, after which the cookie notice will be displayed on the first page load and a new cookie set for the next 90 days.
We use Google Analytics software (Universal Analytics) to collect information about how you use our website. We do this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements, for example improving site search.
Google Analytics stores information about:
• the pages you visit
• how long you spend on each page
• how you got to our website
• what you click on while you are visiting our website
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
• Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
• Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
• Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
• Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
• Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
• Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you wish to raise any queries or concerns about our use of your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at RBGE, 20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh EH3 5LR.
Depending on the circumstances and the nature of your request it may not be possible for us to do what you have asked, for example, where there is a statutory or contractual requirement for us to process your data and it would not be possible to fulfil our legal obligations if we were to stop. However, where you have consented to the processing (for example where you have asked us to contact you for marketing purposes) you can withdraw your consent at any time. If you choose to withdraw consent it will not invalidate past processing and it may impact our ability to provide particular additional services to you.
If you are not happy with the way that we have handled your personal data, please contact us. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Changes to this policy
Every purchase supports the vital research and conservation work of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.